We all want gorgeous, glowing skin — but here’s some real talk: it doesn’t come without effort. When you spot envy-inducing radiance on someone else, you’d better believe they’re giving their face some TLC.
But who has time to obsess over skin care when there are bills to pay, dogs to walk, shows to binge?!
You totally do! Implementing a simple, natural skin care routine is easier than you think — and 5, 10, 20 or 50 years from now you’ll be so stoked you made the effort and avoided making common mistakes. It’s a minor time commitment, and even the busiest (and laziest!) among us can commit to at least minimum care for our outer layer.
With that in mind, here’s the 411 on how to create an easy skin care routine you’ll actually stick to including what questions to ask yourself, which products are must-haves, and why the payoff will be so, so sweet.
IN A NUTSHELL
Main Takeaways:Everyone should use a cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen. If you have more time to dedicate to your routine or if you want to add a little more TLC add a toner, serum, eye cream, and occasional mask.
Good to Know: Fleur & Bee’s skin care starter set is simple and only takes about 10 minutes to use.
NATURAL, QUICK, EASY
Looking for a simple skincare routine in a box? Look no further.
Why You Need a Simple Skin Care Regimen
Even in our instant gratification era, skin care still isn’t a quick fix. Most of the skin issues we all want to avoid — from rough texture to pores that look larger than we’d like to telltale signs of aging — develop over time.
And the truth is that it’s a lot easier to prevent these issues in the first place than to turn back the clock and make them go ghost on you. What’s that thing grandma used to say? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Truth!
A simple skin care routine will help you stop problems before they start and maintain a radiant, youthful glow as the years go by.
It’s also worth noting that the outer layer of your skin, the epidermis, is constantly shedding dead skin cells. The skin on your face turns over about once every month. If you don’t have a skin care routine in place, these dead skin cells (along with your skin’s natural oil, sebum, plus dirt and toxins in the environment) can clog your pores and lead to breakouts and other skin issues.
Who needs that nonsense? An easy skin care routine can save you tons of trouble long-term.
The Best Skin Care Routine for You
Everyone is different, and choosing the best skin care routine for you is a personal process. You may have read about your favorite celebrity’s 10-step skin care process, but not everyone has that kind of time, energy, or money!
To match your skin care routine to your style, here are five questions to ask yourself:
- How much time are you willing to devote to skin care? Can you spare a minimum of 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes at night? Do you enjoy using masks and other skin care extras occasionally, or do you want to do the bare minimum?
- How much bathroom space do you have? While it may be tempting to stock up on a million different products that promise to work wonders, it’s important to be realistic about what space (and time) allows. Try to adopt a minimalist mindset so you don’t end up with a ton of bathroom clutter and a lengthy routine you’ll never stick with.
- What obstacles get in the way of your skin care process? Do you go to bed without washing your face? Do you get lazy about applying products? Do you struggle with waking up early enough to get ready? Be honest with yourself about what bad habits or time constraints get in the way.
- How much can you afford to spend on skin care products? Having a budget in mind is key so you don’t price yourself out of a simple skin care regimen. Think about how much you can afford on products per month or every few months, and consider how long each item lasts before you buy.
- What kind of skin care is best for your skin type? Knowing if your skin is dry, sensitive, oily, combination or otherwise is a key component for picking products that’ll work best for you. Many common skincare products contain harsh, drying ingredients or other agents that can wreak havoc on sensitive skin. And if you care about vegan and/or cruelty-free products, you’ll want to keep that in mind when shopping, too. Be sure to opt for products that meet your unique needs. Fleur & Bee’s products were designed with gentle ingredients to work for all skin types.
Your Skin Care Routine Basics
Now that you’ve been honest with yourself about what you can and cannot handle when it comes to the best skin care routine for you — you can start to shop around.
While some products may be optional, here are the must-haves that every single human should have on hand to maximize skin hygiene and health! These include:
No matter who you are, you absolutely need to wash yo’ face. Our skin is what protects us from the elements, and it’s damn good at its job, soaking up all the dirt, oil, and impurities we’re faced with on a daily basis. That icky stuff will only sink into your pores if you’re not washing it off every day! Ideally twice a day — once in the morning and once at night using lukewarm water. Fleur & Bee’s So Clean! facial cleanser was created to gently unclog your pores, remove dirt and oil, and balance your skin’s natural oils so it stays clear and smooth.
All skin needs moisture; it’s kinda crucial. And while our skin provides some of its own, it still needs a little extra help in order to stay hydrated, replenished, and happily plump. The moisturizer also helps to create a protective barrier on the outside of your skin that helps to keep toxins and other stuff at bay. Moisturizer is a must. Fleur & Bee’s Crème de la Cream face cream is designed to be gentle on all skin types and give you the hydration you need with natural ingredients like organic aloe vera, vitamin C, vitamin E, and more.
By now you’ve probably heard it from, well, EVERYONE. The sun’s rays are dangerous and only sunscreen can protect you. This is another must-have in order to keep your skin healthy, radiant, and fresh-looking over the long haul. Make sure you’re opting for a natural sunscreen of at least SPF 30 (ideally SPF 50), and apply it to your face and neck every single morning. No exceptions
Extra Skin Care Products That Can Make All the Difference
While the aforementioned products are absolutely essential, the following products may not be necessary for skin care minimalists. (Though remember that adding them can mean the difference between average skin and a radiant complexion!)
A natural toner can give you a major glow-up. Toner serves to control excess dirt and oil, temporarily tighten pores, and hydrate, too. It’s used right after you wash your face, and sets the stage for your other products. A lot of toners use harsh drying agents, so opt for natural botanical ingredients. Fleur & Bee’s Rose & Shine contains just two ingredients: rose flower oil and distilled water. And it smells amazing!
Vitamin C serum
Vitamin C is the magic ingredient you might be missing out on! When concentrated in serum, this antioxidant has a whole wealth of benefits, including reducing the appearance of dark spots, brightening and smoothing skin, softening the look of fine lines, and keeping you looking youthful and refreshed. Fleur & Bee’s Nectar of the C is made with Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, a gentle, water-soluble form of vitamin C — and it also contains botanicals like organic jojoba, pink grapefruit, clary sage, chamomile, and more.
The skin around your eyes is extra thin and delicate, which means it needs a little more care to keep fine lines and dark circles at bay. Paying extra attention to this area and giving it a soft, gentle touch can really pay off long-term and maximize your youthful look. Fleur & Bee’s Eyes Eyes Baby was formulated with natural ingredients in order to deeply moisturize, soften the look of little lines, and brighten up the eye area.
Whether you use face masks (yet) or not, you’ve probably seen them all over Instagram and in your favorite beauty mags. Influencers love them, probably because they give your skin all kinds of extra goodies, plus they’re an amazing option for those self-care evenings. When it comes to face masks, you can opt for individually wrapped sheet masks, DIY options, or masks that come in jars or bottles for multiple uses. Fleur & Bee’s Prince Charcoal is a detox-specific mask and uses natural ingredients like kaolin clay, bentonite clay, coconut charcoal powder, organic aloe leaf juice, and more. It’s designed to pamper and purify all skin types. But if your skin is dry, sensitive, oily, or aging, there are tons of different kinds of masks! Try a hydrating mask, a skin-smoothing mask, or a pore-reducing mask. There are options for literally every skin care need.
Don’t Forget Your Lips!
So the skin on your face probably gets most of the attention, but lips are having a major moment and you can’t forget about that pretty pout. To keep yours plump, moisturized, and supple, there are lots of ways you can give them TLC.
A lip scrub can help you get rid of dead skin and make them extra smooth. You can DIY one with just coconut oil and sugar. Mix two teaspoons of coconut oil with a teaspoon of sugar and rub in a circular motion all over your lips. Rinse clean!
You can also buy lip scrubs — just be sure to look for natural ingredients. No need for synthetics on your smoochers.
To keep your lips soft on a day-to-day basis, there are lots of natural moisturizers. Despite popular wisdom suggesting over-the-counter lip balms, it’s better to utilize natural, botanical ingredients whenever possible. Steer clear of artificial flavors.
To keep your lips soft and smooth, opt for coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, or aloe vera gel. Any of the above can give you that extra boost of moisture. And remember — your lips need sunscreen too!
Best Simple Skin Care Routine
A basic skin care regimen doesn’t have to belong tedious!
Here’s the routine we recommend (on mask days!), should you opt in to all the products we’ve described. If you’re going minimal, just adjust this so it only includes face wash, moisturizer, and sunscreen.
- Wash your face with So Clean! or your wash of choice and lukewarm water. Rinse.
- Apply Prince Charcoal or your mask of choice and leave it on for 10 minutes (or per package instructions). Rinse.
- Spritz Rose & Shine or your toner of choice onto your face and neck and allow it to absorb.
- Apply 2-3 drops of Nectar of the C or your vitamin C serum of choice onto fingertips. Gently smooth onto your entire face, avoiding around the eyes. Let it sink in.
- Apply a generous amount of Crème de la Cream or your moisturizer of choice to your face and neck.
- Add a small amount of Eyes Eyes Baby or your eye cream of choice around your eye area.
- In the morning, apply a natural sunscreen of choice to your face and neck.
- Voila! You’re gorgeous!
Depending on what products you choose to opt into, your simple skin care regimen should only take 20 to 30 minutes per day, max. 10 to 15 minutes in the morning, 10 to 15 minutes at night — with an extra 10 minutes on the days you use a mask.
To make sure you stick with it, consider setting a twice-a-day timer on your phone. It’s easy to squeeze in those few extra minutes just before bed and right when you wake up.
And honestly, it’s a small-time investment for a major long-term payoff. Don’t you want that envy-inducing skin as you age? Don’t we all?
Frequently Asked Questions About Creating a Simple Skin Care Routine
Why should I have a skin care routine?
With a good skin care routine, your skin stays clean, your pores stay unclogged, and your fine lines and wrinkles stay minimized. If you’ve ever looked at someone and thought, “Wow, I’d love to have skin like that!” you can almost bet you’re looking at someone who really takes care of their skin every. Single. Day. Without fail. A daily skin care routine is what keeps healthy skin glowing, smooth, and healthy.
What is a simple skin care routine?
A simple skin care routine can consist of just six products. Here’s the short version of what a simple skin care routine should look like:
- Cleanse the skin to get rid of dirt and oils.
- Tone the skin to hydrate and balance oils.
- Use a good vitamin C serum to restore glow.
- Apply moisturizer and eye cream.
- Finally, if it’s daytime, slab on that sunscreen.
Hi, I’m Regina. I’m a no-nonsense, tell-it-like-it-is skin coach and writer on a mission to help you achieve your best skin day ever – every day. I bust skincare myths and debunk marketing jargon to help you figure out what’s worth the splurge and what’s best left on the shelf – using science, not hype. I also offer skin care consultations to help you create the best skincare routine for your unique needs. Regina is a self-professed skin care junkie with a passion for experimenting with the latest beauty products and trends. She helps create engaging content for Ourcareproducts.com’s audience.